Our client is an international diversified mining company seeking a Senior Engineer – Water Management based out of Phoenix, Arizona USA. Under moderate supervision, assist with management of the corporate hydrology and hydrogeology programs. Provide site support on engineering design and project management for surface water management, storm water controls, mine dewatering, water balance modeling, groundwater modeling, well and piezometer monitoring and geospatial data management. Contribute as a corporate specialist on water resource management in support of permitting efforts, expansion/development strategies, tailings management/design, data review and risk analysis.
• Reporting to the Director – Geotechnical & Water Management, organize, problem solve and work within a team-based organization.
• Contribute to strategic plans for further development of mine operations and associated water resource management.
• Interpret maps, geographical data, historical evidence, and models to develop an understanding of the surface water and groundwater regime, as well as potential contamination effects, often based on limited and incomplete data.
• Undertake field work and site visits for investigative, monitoring, and site support purposes.
• Oversee and/or assist with design and installation of surface water and groundwater monitoring systems, as well as review and interpretation of monitoring data.
• Oversee and/or assist with design and installation of storm water management controls, including assessment of performance and recommendations for improvement.
• Review and/or analyze data to develop climatic design criteria for the sites, including initiating updates, as needed.
• Manage, calibrate and further develop water balance models used for tracking and prediction of flows, including filling of tailings storage facilities.
• Review impact assessments for mine dewatering, discharge, and downstream water management activities.
• Assist in managing geospatial data related to monitoring instrumentation (wells, piezometers, weirs, survey monuments, etc.), storm water management controls, existing and proposed disturbances, dewatering wells, discharge points, and other data, as relevant to the work of the Geotechnical & Water Management team.
• Liaise with other hydrologists, hydrogeologists, engineers, and other professionals in related fields.
• With review and support from the Director – Geotechnical and Water Management, develop and edit both technical and non-technical reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders on water resource management.
• Answer technical queries and provide guidance to site-level and corporate-level management teams.
• Other duties, as required.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Geological Engineering, Hydrogeology or closely related discipline from an accredited curriculum, with courses in hydrology and/or hydrogeology
• Seven (7) years of experience, ideally in a consulting or mining environment.
• Knowledge in the principles and practices of civil, geologic, or hydrologic engineering or a related field of science or engineering.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing to a diversely-educated audience.
• Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety for yourself and others.
• Knowledge of drilling and well construction techniques.
• Familiarity with surface and groundwater modeling and monitoring.
• Knowledge of common techniques for interpretation of surface and groundwater data, including geochemical data.
Preferred Education and Experience
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Hydrogeology or closely related discipline from an accredited curriculum, with courses in hydrology and/or hydrogeology
• Five (5) years of experience, ideally in a consulting or mining environment.
• Possession or ability to acquire certification as a Professional Engineer (PE), Professional Geologist (PG), or Registered Geologist (RG).
• Fluent in French, Portuguese or Mandarin.
• Experience using GIS (e.g., ArcGIS) and/or CAD (i.e., AutoCAD, CIVIL3D) software.
• Knowledge and/or experience using other relevant software, such as HEC/RAS, HEC/HMS, GoldSim, FEFLOW and/or MIKESHE.
• Experience with hands-on use of field equipment and field sampling techniques.
International travel of up to 15% is expected for this position.
For more information or to submit your resume/CV for consideration, please contact:
Jan de Ville
+1 (303) 440-8686
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org